[TowerTalk] re Take off angles - especially for LF work

Peter Forbes prforbes@tbsa.com.au
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 10:22:29 +1100 (EST)

To the list,

I have been following with interest the various exchanges regarding the
effect of takeoff angles especially regarding the lower HF bands.

It is all quite scientific, but I have a far more scientific method of
predicting the peak times/closing times, especially for westward paths at
sunrise.

160 metre opening - once it is light enough to read the headlines on the
newspaper outside, the band has closed

80 metre opening - once it is light enough to read the fine print on the
newspaer outside, the band has closed

40 metre opening - once the birds stop twittering the band has closed.

30 metres opening - add 1 hour for summer, 2 hours for spring/autumn, add 3
hours for winter to 40 metre times.

Laugh if you will, but in 40 years of DXing, the rule has never failed me!!!!

I am carrying out extensive scientific analysis on formulating a rule for
sunsets propagation to the east.  Findings will be released soon.
North/south paths present more problems such as what the hell is going on in
the ionosphere/geomagnetic field !!!

Cheers and happy DXing

Peter  VK3QI