[TowerTalk] Takeoff angle-new perspective

Tom Hellem Tom Hellem" <redpines@cybrzn.com
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 18:50:54 -0600

Hi all:
I have been following with interest the thread on takeoff angles, etc. and
there has been a host of very useful information. Bottom line seems to be
the more aluminum one can get into the air at many different heights, the
better. But one thing has become apparent to me- it has almost wholly
pertained to working DX and DX contesting. I would like to offer another
perspective.

I think a large percentage of hams have neither the pocketbook nor the real
estate to erect multiple towers and stacked yagis. Many of us have to settle
for one tower of modest height with a tribander, and we are pretty much
resigned to the fact that we are probably not going to make it into the
record books in CQWW. But, being of a somewhat competetive nature, we think
that we have at least a chance of making a showing in the stateside contests
like NAQP and SS.

So the question becomes this: What would be the optimum height for say a 3
element triband beam for stateside contesting use? Say up to a maximum
height of 70 feet or so, as that would be about tops for Rohn 25 with 2 sets
of guys, and would be able to fit on an average sized lot.

I would be willing to bet there are thousands of us out here who would be
very interested to see some input on this question.

73 to all.
Tom K0SN
Porterfield, WI