[TowerTalk] Mast Analysis

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 01:05:51 EST

In a message dated 12/20/00 3:43:45 PM Pacific Standard Time,
DAVED@ctilidar.com writes:

> A while back someone posted a web site where there is an article describing
>  how to calculate mast yield.

    Calculate? Isn't that what you look up in the tables or ask your material
supplier? The yield strength is provided by the manufacturer or dealer.

    There is a pretty good chart in Dave Leeson, W6NL's (ex-W6QHS) book on
"Physical Design of Yagi Antennas".

>  I've lost my bookmark for this site. I'm trying
>  to figure out which would be stiffer: an aluminum mast with 2" diameter and
>  0.375" wall or a 2.5"diameter 0.25" wall mast. Can anyone point me in the
>  right direction?

    The yield on the material is the same - about 35kpsi. The larger the
cylinder (or mast), the more strength it's got. More wall thickness doesn't
directly equate to a stronger material.

    Make sure your rotator and antenna mast clamp hardware will work with a
2-1/2" diameter - some won't.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech
Champion Radio Products