[TowerTalk] Rotor quick disconnects - Part 1. Orig post repeated- K0FF

K0FF K0FF@ARRL.NET
Sun, 24 Dec 2000 08:15:38 -0600

Subject: FYI=Rotor quick disconnects - orig post repeated- K0FF

 The question came up concerning the installation of a HAM-M type rotor and
 in my reply I said:

 David, whatever else you decide upon (mechanically) as suggested by other
 contributors, let me make a recommendation concerning the wiring part of
the
 rotor installation. I highly recommend installing AMP 9 pin connectors on
 the rotor cable and on the rotor (via a flying lead, or "pigtail"). Also at
 the control box end. This way if service or troubleshooting is needed,
 individual wires don't have to be removed/replaced. It also makes it easy
 remove the wiring from the control box for lightning protection.

 I set the standard years ago with these connectors, and fortunately, the
 commercial world settled on the same arrangement. I've had them in 24/7
 outdoor service for over 25 years already. Put the female pin into a male
 body on the side that supplies the  power (like a receptacle ).

 AMP connector on rotor: #206705-2 (female pins/male body)
 AMP connector on Control box side # 206708-1. (male pins in female body)

 Make sure you get the complete connector, for inline wring (both also come
 in chassis mount versions). It has a body, pins , backshell, and cable
 clamp/ Only a few bucks for a set. Use one set on the tower and one set in
 the shack.

 Available at Van Sickle or RS Electronics (NOT Radio Shack, RS is a
 commercial electronic supply house).

 73 Geo>K0FF

 PS I always go with a large rectangular hole in the rotor plate, mainly
 because you need it for the bolt and steel rope cable to pass through when
 using a mast winch. You're going to drill and tap the mast(1/2" thread) for
 an attachment point for a mast winch aren't you?  Geo

 See followup message "Rotor and Control Wire Quick Disconect...."  'FF