[TowerTalk] Fw: Rotor and controlwire Quick disconnect. Part 2 de K0FF

K0FF K0FF@ARRL.NET
Sun, 24 Dec 2000 08:16:49 -0600

 The 9 pin AMP connectors as needed for Quick Disconnect of rotor/elevator
 and control
 box are as follows :

 AMP connector on rotor pigtail for quick disconnect: 206705-2 (female
 body/male pins)

 On control box : 206708-1 (male body/female pins)

 These are inexpensive and have proved themselves invaluable over the years
 for quickly
 disconnecting cables up to 9 wires. Larger and smaller versions are
 available and I use them up to 17 connections on other projects all the
 time. Even bigger ones are available, for those super projects. All use the
 same .093 pins and either male or female can be used in any body, per your
 needs and as safety dictates. At this time  I can still supply the male
pins
 only for say 8 for a dollar,
 and 33 cents postage on an as- needed basis. So far I have found no
 inexpensive source for the female pins (of course they readily available at
 the distributors for regular price).

 Now I recommend the AMPs at both ends, so you can swap control boxes for
 trouble shooting. You can even take the control box to the towertop for
 service if needed, so make the pigtail a few feet long on the shack end, or
 like I do, have a short jumper made up with the proper connectors.
 I even built a rotor "mockup" jig for testing control boxes on the bench.
 It has lights on it to indicate if the voltage is present on the brake,
 left, and right motor leads, and a 500 Ohm pot (for Bell rotors) to feed
 back direction indication to the bridge circuit, as well as breakout
 terminals to test the motor capacitor with an external LCR meter (project
 article due out soon on this). Although in my installation, the motor cap
is
 removed from the control box and resides near the rotor in a waterproof
box.

 The Tailtwister et.al. control box can be used on the HDR300 with a few
 minor mods in the metering bridge circuit.

 If you have or are contemplating a large bulkhead and single point ground
 panel somewhere,
 with your lightning arrestors and TVI filters on it, and you want to have a
 further disconnect there, for larger systems I recommend the 24 conductor
 Jones connectors (Use Jones connectors INDOORS ONLY or well protected from
 WX if must be used outdoors. AMP connectors AOK outdoors as-is). The reason
 is that you can have at least 3 rotors, or other combinations in a single
 plug, where it
 can be disconnected for lightning purposes. Alternatively the disconnected
 plug
 can be inserted into a dummy receptacle, in which all the pins are grounded
 to the panel.
 Larger 10 pin Jones sets can be used in the same manner for power supplies.
 Pins can be paralleled for high current. ( my PSUs are 150 and 50 Amp
 Sorensons, 220V op, and  rack mounted remote from the rig, at the bulkhead,
 and controlled from the shack).

 Both these Jones connectors can be had from me in limited quantities and
 various configurations for 10 USD per pair. See

http://homepages.dstream.net/K0FF/ForSaleStuff

and look at "rotor disconnect plugs file"
A picture of my bulkhead/patch panel/single point ground/PSU/ PA/ coax
relay
 / telephone-rotor-control wire- TV-coax lightning protect/ Beverage
 interface/ preamp/ TVI filter RACK can be seen at:
 http://homepages.dstream.net/K0FF/patchpanel.jpeg

 73 Geo>K0FF