[TowerTalk] Crank-UP Tower Cables.-WD40

john-k1rc@juno.com john-k1rc@juno.com
Mon, 25 Dec 2000 13:43:42 -0500

WD-40 may leave a slight film after evaporation, but it also
absorbs moisture AND is highly flammable...  Its mostly used
as a penetrating oil. The flammable part I found out first
hand with a cutting torch. The moisture thing... my boat can
tell you a few storys...

A demo I use around the boatyard is, light a match and
spray WD-40 above the match.....Instant blowtorch.. On the
same idea as hairspray/match trick.

So, a good idea is to keep it away from engine compartments
and enclosed areas with electrical devices.  (My Opinion)

I've been using a similar product called  5-56. Non-flammable
, penetrates and TEMPORARILY protects far better than WD-40.
This is thru experience.
Note the key word is ---TEMPORARILY---  for both products.
I use white lithium grease for longer term lubrication/protection
on hardware.

Happy Holidays All,
John K1RC