[TowerTalk] WD-40

Richard Thorne rthorne@tcac.net
Mon, 25 Dec 2000 20:58:03 -0600

WD-40 works pretty well as starting fluid.  Used it on my jetski at the beach
this past summer.  Started right up after sitting un-used all winter.

w3svj@juno.com wrote:

> I guess we always used and thought of WD-40 as a penetrant and very light
> duty/temporary lubricant. However, W3MAC told me many years ago that
> WD-40 was THE starting "fluid" to use on small engines. Apparently the
> standard heavy duty ether based stuff is ok on a big block but he
> suggested that it was too much for a small cylinder and besides the
> lubricant that carried along with the propellent of WD-40 was quite
> beneficial to the cylinder walls/rings for small engine on start up. Not
> much relationship to towers but it sure works great on Field Day
> generators.
>
> 73 de Nate, W3SVJ, in Pittsburgh where it's not so smokey anymore.

> GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
> http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
>
> --

Richard Thorne
Amarillo, TX
Amateur Radio Station - N5ZC (Ex. KA2DSY, N2BHP, WB5M)
Remote Control Planes - AMA # 657062
Web Page: http://www.tcac.net/~rthorne/index.html