[TowerTalk] Crank-UP Tower Cables.-WD40

Bill Coleman aa4lr@arrl.net
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 08:31:46 -0500

On 12/25/00 11:06, Barry Kutner at w2up@mindspring.com wrote:

>My can of WD-40 is at least 10 years old. Part what it says
>includes "WD-40 lubricates and restores smotth operation to
>moving parts in hard-to-reach places." The word "lubricates"
>appears several more times in its claims.

Try this test.

Find a squeaky door. Coat the hinges with WD-40. Squeak disappears. Check
back in a month or two. Squeak reappears.

While WD-40 does have some lubricating properties, it's components are
too volatile to last long. Older WD-40 cans lacked the word "lubricant"
anywhere on the package. The packaging was changed in the last 15 or so
years. Perhaps the regulations regarding such claims changed.

If you try the squeaky door test with a REAL silicone libricant,such as
LPS 2, the squeak won't return for 18 months or more.

WD-40 is good for short-term use, such as loosening corroded hardware, or
avoiding galling of stainless steel hardware during tightening/removal.
But don't expect it to stick around and "lubricate" for long.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901