[TowerTalk] 40 meter interaction

Jay Terleski wx0b@arraysolutions.com
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 10:34:21 -0600

Hi Tom

Good points, I had one private email with another gentleman that I
pointed out the near field will not have the cancellation that occures
in the far field from radials, and raised radials are the worst case.
They usually are unbalanced anyway, as K5IU (ala Moxon) pointed out in
his earlier work with them. If the system was using raised radials they
would really couple closely to that dipole.

As with your commments with decoupling the feedline, we agree totaly
when I pointed out the following in my previous post:

"I would also take great strides to make sure the feedline to the dipole
was not coupling to the verticles. This is probably more of a worry for
you for messing up the verticals patterns.

If you see coupling all is not lost, now you can try detuning the dipole
to take it out of the picture when you not using it.  A capacitor or
inductor across the feedline of the "correct" value could do this.  What
is the correct value? It depends on the feedline length to the dipole,
just an open will do it if its exactly .5 WL. or multiple of .5 WL."

Your point of the dipole affecting the vertical array's pattern is right
on.  I think if the feeline and the array can be detuned the affects
work both ways. In other words, if the vertical doesn't couple to the
dipole also means the dipole doesn't couple to the vertical.

At any rate we have use dipoles that were parrallel to the transmitting
arrays at several stations I have been at.  Usually having the dipole
situated that it was "pointing" at the transmitting array when the
transmitting array was another yagi stack.  This really works as you so
state.  But is not possible for Tom it seems.

I still think Tom should try it, then we all can learn how well it
worked or how badly it works. Then we can go down the path of decoupling
it, and comparing it to our knowlegde base of what were expecting to
see.  Devising a repeatable test case may be in order, like a nearby ham
in the null of the vertical array making some measurements of F/Rear
pattern.

HNY
Jay

--