[TowerTalk] HF6V Coil Taps

Jim Berry basalop@gte.net
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 12:58:36 -0800

Hi Terry,

You know, just setting here reading my mail and thinking (dangerous)
you need to replace the clips with some kind of aluminum strap.  Kind
of want to imitate the straps already used with the Butternut.  I
would use something thinner because it would be easy to work with.
Wrap a turn around one of the coil windings and use a nut and screw
(just like Butternut) to get the tension.  Think if I didn't have
some aluminum flashing handy, I would grab an old beer or pop can and
make up some straps.  I bet you could cut up an old aluminum can with
a pair of scissors.  That way you could attach the strap directly to
the relay since I see no practical way, other then with nuts and
bolts, to attach a wire to your clamp creation.  Even though you will
have aluminum to aluminum contact, I would still consider using some
kind of grease to prevent corrosion.

I would recommend wearing a pair of gloves when messing with freshly
cut strap.  It is kind of sharp.  Also if you create something from
an old can, make sure you have all the paint and varnish cleaned off
any surfaces that make electrical contact.