[TowerTalk] Fixed Quads

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 22:46:13 EST

 w7why@harborside.com writes:
  K7GCO@aol.com wrote:
  >  I first used it in 1936 and it only took 24 years to get it printed.  I
used a sloper in 1937.  3 of them as guy wires on a >pole. I never got that
printed.

 > It probably would be hard for a 6 year old to be taken seriously. That's
probably why they didn't print it.
  Tom

    Tom, QST printed the Inverted Vee in 8/60 after several tries.  It was
the same text exactly.  I added coax to the article but in the 30's on
80/75-40M parallel dipoles at right angles, I used open wire and a simple
technique to get very very low SWR over the whole of both bands and no
measurable losses with a 5 cent component then--50 cents now.  No one has
come up with this since.  Maybe I'll send it to QST and try gain after 60
years--never give up.  It's a great concept.
     An English teacher helped prepare the article back then. They didn't
really know my age until 1960 (30) on a visit there and thought I was older
and I also informed them I had an EE Degree from U of SD.  I gave them a
technical lecture and finally got George Grammer's attention.  I guess he
felt they had to recognize there was other ways to do things.  George and I
got along fine after that. They were locked into a Hor./Vert. Paradigm and
couldn't believe it was even worth trying.  Before that I asked them to try
it a couple of times and they refused.  I had also corrected an error in an
antenna article and that was a mistake.  They had arrogancy problems that
still exits.  They have been told of other antennas that work better but
refuse to believe that also.  Nothing has changed.  Then after printing it,
Baldwin offered 3 complimentary copies.  I asked for 10 and he even refused
send me more than 3 copies of the mag when they got the article FREE.  I
still have the letter.  20 years later I ran into him on a bus at Dayton and
he still tried to justify it.  I suggested to him "that is why most of the
good stuff was going to other mags".  I have sent over 100 articles to other
Radio mags, over 50 to Guns mags that were printed right away. Their Montra
was "it's great Prestige to have one's work printed in QST."  That's all you
get, I can't pay a bill with Prestige and had to buy extra copies of my own
article that was FREE to them.  The thinking of Journals and Foundations is
the same as the US Government.  "Everything you have is or will be ours, you
do not know more than we do and don't correct our mistakes--it tends to
jeopardize our retirements."  There is more but that will give you the
general picture.
     I pressured the Directors and President (Danials--he kept voting against
it and even broke a tie vote in ''78 at a National Convention in Seattle) for
a long time to get QST to pay for articles, more complimentary copies and
they finally did but it took awhile.
     In direct contrast to your comment, WzeroHH just asked me how I
discovered and experimented with it.  In 63 years he was the first to ask.  I
just spend 8 hours writing up The History of the Inverted Vee and some other
topics and will release it.
     Wayne Green printed my first article in CQ in 8/56 and it was the
longest ever printed in CQ since.  He just asked me for another one for 73
Mag--44 years later. Green is Radio's Best All Time Editor.
      It can be very difficult to get articles in print when you have
inflated ego's at the mags to contend with at times.  I have many I have not
released--it's a hassle.  Have you got the picture?
      I got my old WzeroLMB call back (Lice, Mice & Bedbugs) as the SD
Antenna Club.  I plan an Antenna Web Sight.  I will not have any time delays
or unjust editing in saying anything I want based on my research.  I will
have a great test facility with good equipment.
K7GCO