[TowerTalk] hygain 40m conversion for 2 el to 3 el

Stan or Patricia Griffiths w7ni@teleport.com
Thu, 03 Feb 2000 17:35:10 -0800

Hi Glenn,

I have had the 3 element version of that beam up for maybe 15 years now.  I
put it up right  after it was introduced.  I was a HyGain Dealer at the
time.  Anyway, I am very happy with it and I think it works much better
than the previous older two element version I had up.  I have run my pair
of 4-1000A's into it without arcing or other failure and I feed it with 75
ohm CATV hardline and the 50/75 ohm  matching section system described in
the Contest Journal years ago.  I use an RG213 coil balun at the antenna
feed point and before the matching section conversion.  At the shack end,
all of my rigs are Pi net output so the feed the 75 ohm hardline just fine
without conversion back to 50 ohms.

I have never been able to understand why this antenna has not become more
popular.  It is electrically and mechanically strong, made by a reputable
company, and seems to perform as well as any other shorty forty out there,
except it seems to be the only one with 3 elements.  Yes, I believe the
third element significally improves it over the 2 element versions, but I
have no test range data to back that up . . . just a gut feeling . . . plus
the fact that, all else being equal, 3 elements will out perform 2 . . .

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com