[TowerTalk] Broken 3/8" Turnbuckle

Steven London n2ic@hotmail.com
Wed, 09 Feb 2000 19:32:09 MST

I was recently surprised to find a broken 3/8" turnbuckle on one of my lower
guy wires.  The turnbuckle was the standard drop-forged 3/8" turnbuckle
commonly available from a large national distributor in W5 land.  I'm not
sure if it was purchased with an order 16 years ago or 7 years ago.  It
broke on the screw threads on the ground-ward side.  There was no visible
rust on the outside surface, and it has been used in Colorado's dry climate,
and never in direct contact with the ground.  The break was about 3 inches
above the ground, which means that there were times that it was snowcovered.

Questions for the experts:

1) Should I treat this as a warning and replace all 16 turnbuckles ?

or

2) Should I treat this as a freak occurance and replace only the broken
turnbuckle ?

P.S.  There was no tower disaster thanks to the safety loop strung through
the turnbuckle.

73,
Steve, N2IC/0