[TowerTalk] Rooftop vertical grounding [SUMMARY]

Ron D. Rossi rrossi@btv.ibm.com
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 14:03:33 -0500

>>>"Guy Olinger, K2AV" said:
>
> I think this is an excellent decision.
>
> Your antenna's performance will depend MORE THAN ANTHING ELSE on the
> quality of your ground screen (radials). You may find that the more
> ground screen you have, the worse (or narrower) your SWR gets. DON'T
> be fooled by that. Monkey with antenna settings afterward, or use a
> tuner.

I have used the HF6V a bit. If you are getting more than 30KHz of bandwidth on
75m then you need to add more radials. I reached this point at about 60
radials. They were above ground, but only between one and ten feet (sloping
ground). TX signal reports dramatically improved at this point as well. The
lengths were random between 40 and 80 or so feet.

--
73 de KK1L...ron (kk1l@arrl.net) <><
QTH: Jericho, Vermont