[TowerTalk] Elevated Verticals and Radials

Jim Reid kh7m@hsa-kauai.net
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 14:24:28 -1000

Tom,  W7WHY,  wrote,  in part:

> With a ground mounted radial system, it
> takes about 60 radial to make it play, but with raised verticals
> and radials, you can get by with as little as 4 radials and make
> the antenna play.

Per the experience of some,  if the raised vertical is about
1/4 wave up,  then 8 elevated radials will essentially
equal the boost in transmit efficiency about as much
as 60 to 90 ground mounted ones,  or will recover about  4 to
5 dB of what would otherwise be lost to ground loss, "heat",
warming the worms,  etc.  Four elevated radials saves
about half the ground loss,  or 3 dB which would otherwise
be available to the worms.  `120 or more radials,  on the
ground,  will supposedly recover "all"  the xmit power
which might be lost in the ground,  said to approach 6 dB
saving of total power.  Or,  said another way,  a ground
mounted vertical without radials,  will deposit about 75%
of the available power from the rig into the ground,  for
the purpose of diathermy for the worms! (More than
half the rig power to ground loss, as the vertical antenna
radiation resistance,  in ohms, will be less than  the
ohmic loss of the coupled ground resistance.)

I have had verticals,  down to 40 meters,  raised up as high,
or higher than 1/4 wave.  Some have even done the same
on 80; however,  never heard of anyone raising the base of a
160 vertical 40 meters into the air (about 130 feet up to
the base,  hi).  Has anyone done this??

73,  Jim,  KH7M