[TowerTalk] Stealth Antenna - paint it black?

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 00:58:29 EST

In a message dated 12.02.00 18:56:19 Pacific Standard Time, w1nr@eecorp.com
writes:.. To:   WA4TUF@aol.com, towertalk@contesting.com

 Battleship blue/gray works very well also.  I saw an installation
 where the tower, mast and antenna were all painted with ZRC
 cold galvanizing compound (a dull gray finish).  Blended into the
 hardwood trees real well.  If there are mostly evergreens around,
 then green camouflage marine paint used for duck boats would work
 well.  The basic rule of thumb is to match the most predominant
 color in the background with a similar flat finish.

 Mike, W1NR
 -----Original Message-----
 From: owner-towertalk@contesting.com
 [mailto:owner-towertalk@contesting.com]On Behalf Of WA4TUF@aol.com
 Sent: Friday, February 11, 2000 10:44 PM
 To: towertalk@contesting.com
 Subject: [TowerTalk] Stealth Antenna - paint it black?
       Continuing my search for an unobtrusive beam ... (C3SS clear winner so
far)
 Highly reflective aluminum antennas stick out like a beacon especially at
 low heights. Black Hamsticks and black chain link fence disappear - lack
 of color is no color.  Is there any reason you could not paint an assembled
aluminum antenna with black spray paint?
 WA4TUF Buck Fredericksburg, Va. USA

Finding a paint for a Stealth Antenna is a problem.  When I was in the Army
at the Rocky Mr Arsenal in '54, we worked on things like that--mustard and G
Nerve Gas.  Would you believe we actually developed a paint that reflected
light that made things invisible.  We called the Pentagon and while a
research group was on the way out--"some damn fool painted the can it was in
and the Army hasn't been able to find it since."  I actually hid it and
helped with the story as I wanted it for my antennas and have used it ever
since.  That's an absolutely true story--I just made it up.

There were so many toxic things made there and improperly disposed of, I saw
on 60 Minutes where they put a fence around it and the wild life jumped the
fence and took up residence there at Hotel Rocky Mt Arsenal NE of Denver.
The Redfield Gun Sight Co there also improperly dumped their toxins and
rather than to clean it up properly they closed the doors.  Toxins are going
to be the main health problem of the human race the way things are going.  60
Minutes had a bit on the gas additive that is in just about every cities
water supply that can be smelled.  Smoking may be hazardous to your
health--suddenly. Water is the most important thing needed for life and 10
years ago only 1% of the water on earth was drinkable without a real
cleaning--less now.  K7GCO