[TowerTalk] Open Ladder Line Source ?

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 22:36:36 EST

In a message dated 17.02.00 16:27:56 Pacific Standard Time,
kh7m@hsa-kauai.net writes:

<<
 In Worldradio magazine several months ago,
 an ad for "real" 600 ohm ladder line and antennas
 was run.  I can't find it; also believe the ad listed
 a web site.  Anyone have that?  Antennas in the ad
 were fab'd from the same conductors as the ladder
 line, so no connection at the antenna end of the
 feed; ladder line conductors simply separated,
 and went on out to form the balanced radiators!
 Believe the set up was available in several
 overall doublet wire lengths.

 Thanks, 73, Jim, KH7M

Why don't you make your own with say #12 enameled (.98 VF) or insulated wire
(.9-.95 VF) using 6" 3/8" plastic spacers like Delrin with holes in the end
and secure them with pig tails or Silicone rubber cement.  You can grid dip
it by shorting both ends and suspending it 5' off the ground.  Use soldering
lugs--no expensive connectors that leak.  Grid dip at 3.562 MHz and it will
be a 1/2 wave on 80M and 1/2 wave multiples on all the above bands.
Everything's cheap and it will last you a life time.  I recommend the Johnson
Match Box Tuner.  Overhaul completely the MB when you get it.  Damage can
sometimes be found on all used equipment.  Or make your own.  The 275 W model
will take 600W of SSB RF on 10M.  K7GC0