[TowerTalk] Re: tt

Eric Gustafson n7cl@mmsi.com
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 16:41:54 -0700

Ray,

AMEN!!!  and  AMEN!!! again.

I think CFA must stand for Cold Fusion Antenna.

It is too bad that there are enough people intimidated by the
idea of evaluating Maxwell's equations that this kind of junk can
be successfully propagated.

The proponents of the CFA's reverse application of Maxwell's
equations put forward to explain why the CFA antenna is exempt
from the laws of physics is a bit like saying that since passing
a wire through a magnetic field creates a current (charge in
motion), then passing a moving charge through a magnetic field
must create a wire.  If we could do that and have the process
generate a _GOLD_ wire, for example, we'd _really_ be in
business!  It would beat the goal of the Alchemists all to heck.

(Actually, it is a darned good thing that this doesn't happen.
We couldn't watch Rocky and Bullwinkle reruns because the CRT in
our TV would quickly fill up with wire and short itself out.)

Maxwell's equations describe the _effects_ of what happens when
the _cause_ of a radiation field is present.  The CFA proponents
are saying that they can create the _cause_ at high efficiency in
a small space by simulating the _effects_ using separate creation
of the requisite E and H fields in the proper relationship!  The
fallacy in this argument is that it is not physically possible to
create either of the requisite fields (E or H) absent creation of
the other (H or E) in the same process.  Since the structures for
this field creation (and the conductors leading to them) are all
closely spaced, these fields are all closely coupled to one
another, and the entire system is thus inextricably tied back to
"normal" physics.  So the normal expectations of size versus
bandwidth versus efficiency must hold.

Here is another challenge for those with a mathematical bent to
work on in the time between now and when someone takes Chip's
money.  -  Starting from first principles, calculate the rate and
direction of Maxwell's spinning in his grave over the misuse of
his beautiful and insightful equations for such a purpose.

73, Eric  N7CL