[TowerTalk] Antenna Models

KI7WX@aol.com KI7WX@aol.com
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 10:14:20 EST

Seems this whole issue would be moot if the manufactures would simply make
their models and/or .yag type files available via web page, FTP server or
other means.  Each of the big manufacturers has a presence on the web so this
is a simple addition.  Hy-Gain already put up the .yag files for their
popular antennas.  It's a good model to follow I think. FWIW, when asked,
both F12 and M2 have been very responsive to requests for information about
thier antennas so this isn't a complaint, merely a suggestion which should
make a lot of people happy.

Practically speaking there are several advantages to providing yagi info in
an accessible format: (1) It cuts down on people like me bugging you for
information.  Let me download it and play to my hearts content.  I'd even pay
a couple bucks for a disk if necessary to get the info. (2) Just about
everyone is modelling thier current or proposed arrays for electrical
performance.  Although the utility of these data may vary, I personally
wouldn't consider an antenna where I couldn't at least look at it on the
computer first. (2.1) If the manufacturer supplies the data file it is more
likely to be 100% correct and will allow for people to do apples vs apples
comparisions. Folks are going to do it anyway so facillitating a better model
makes sense (to me). (3) Physically planning a stacked antenna install
requires that you know several parameters for each antenna - rotating beams
down the tower is simple, but needs to be carefully planned. All that info is
in the .yag type file.

As for copying designs and copyrights, patents et al.  I would hope F12 could
care less about a C31XR model being posted to TT.  Perhaps looking at it and
fixing it if needed to keep folks from drawing wrong conclusions. Tom has a
nice US patent covering some of his feed point ideas and can choose to try
and enforce that and other IP as he chooses. We know Natan and Tom read TT
and they didn't say anything so why are we beating up the poor guy that tried
to do a kindness and save some of his amateur collegues a bit of effort?

Best regards,

Mark
KI7WX/4