[TowerTalk] strength of fiberglass pipe

Don Moman ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 22:41:00 -0700 (MST)

A friend asked me what the strength of a fibreglass pipe is, as compared
to aluminum.... I know aluminum would be in the 30 to 35K range. The plan
is to use it for a VHF "H" frame. This is available locally, he says, with
2" and 2.5" id with .188 wall, in 20' lengths. Sounds fairly skookum to
me.

I suppose there are different types of fibreglass, just like aluminum but
we're just looking for a ballpark figure at this stage. I'm not having
luck with any references I have, and an internet search (I rarely find
what I want with those) hasn't brought much other than sore eyes.

So I resort to the best reference source - you guys.....

73 Don

VE6JY  Don Moman               email: ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Box 127 Lamont, Alberta        email forwarding: ve6jy@rac.ca
CANADA  T0B 2R0