[TowerTalk] Roof top towers

Bill Aycock baycock@HIWAAY.NET
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 10:22:18 -0600

I think you misunderstood Steve, and have some of the same problem most
people do with  so-called "Thrust Bearings" now on the market.

Strictly speaking, there is little need for a THRUST bearing- the rotor
does a good job with the vertical load, which is the THRUST part of the
load. THe side loads, however, are different. THats where you need help,
but a simple bushing will do for that- The one case where the vertical load
is taken by the bearing, is when you are holding the shaft up, while moving
or installing the rotor- this is a (Usually) non-moving application, and
ball bearings are not really needed.

In fact- I took my "thrust" bearing apart- found it to be one of the worst
designs I have seen in 70 years, and modified it to do what was needed.
The mod consisted of taking out the balls (they are in a "baggie" in the
shop) and turning the bearing upside down- Now, it gives lateral support,
and no vertical support- except when I need to loosen the rotor clamps.

Works like a charm.

Anyone who would design a bearing to have hardened steel balls in a soft
aluminum race needs to give his Engineering degree back as being
misrepresentation.

Bill- W4BSG

At 08:11 AM 01/13/2000 -0700, you ("Dave D'Epagnier")wrote:

>The GME tower I've got doesn't even have a round hole at the top. It's a
>square formed by the inside edges of four pieces of 1/8" aluminum angle
>stock. The hole is also relatively wide so I'd thought I'd put a thrust
>bearing there even though the vertical load isn't all that much. My question
>is: what's the best value in thrust bearings? GME want's $90 for the unit
>that rusted out on John in 18 months. The one I got from Universal towers
>was $130 and ultra heavy duty. Are there any cheaper ones of decent quality
>available?
>
>--Dave
>K0QE

-
Bill Aycock          W4BSG              EM64vr
Jackson County, AL

W4BSG is "vanity" this time, but was
earned by exam in 1954, the first time.

w4bsg@arrl.net