[TowerTalk] Hy-Gain Rotators

Jim Reid kh7m@hsa-kauai.net
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 11:15:54 -1000

Ed wrote,  in part:

>It will be a cold day in hell before I buy again from MFJ.

What about the temperature in hell?  From a recent University
midterm exam:

"University of Washington chemistry midterm:

  "Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic
(absorbs heat)?
 Support your answer with a proof."

  Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using
Boyle's Law (gas cools off when it expands and heats up
when it is compressed) or some variant.  One student,
however, wrote the following:

  First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing
in time.  So, we need to know the rate that souls are moving
into Hell and the rate they  are leaving.   I think that we can
safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave.
Therefore, no souls are leaving.

  As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at
the different religions that exist in the world today.  Most
of these religions state  that if you are not a member of
their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there are more than
one of these religions and since people do not belong to
more than one religion,  we can project that all people and
all souls go to  Hell. (Watch Larry King's show yesterday?)

  With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the
number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially.

  Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell
because Boyle's  Law states that in order for the temperature
and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has
to expand as souls are added.

  This gives two possibilities:

  (1)  If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at
which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure
in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

  (2)  Of course, if Hell is expanding at a rate faster than
the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and
pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

  So which is it?

  If we accept the postulate given to me by Ms. Therese
Banyan during my freshman year, "That it will be a cold
night in Hell before I sleep with you," and take into account
the fact that I still have not succeeded in  having sexual
relations with her, then (2) cannot be true, and so Hell
is  exothermic.

  This student got the only A in the class."

73,  Jim,  KH7M