[TowerTalk] Penatrox Substitute

Kurt Andress K7NV@contesting.com
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 08:51:13 -0800

This has been discussed before here, just a reminder.....

Using the various petroleum based metal particle filled compounds is a
YMMV thing. If you're gonna use this stuff, consider sealing the
connections or look for a compond that uses aluminum particles.

This summer I built a couple of 40 M verticals. I used some tubing I got
from a friend that were tips for an 80M foursquare in their previous
life.

The sections came apart easy enough. But, the tubing was severely pitted
due to galvanic corrosion caused by the dissimilar material in the
compound that was used. It was No-Alox with zinc particles.

The connections were not sealed, and being a vertical, the water ran
right into the connections and washed the petroleum vehicle out and left
the galvanic cell, created by the aluminum/zinc/moisture combination.

These connections were together for about 3-4 years in this arid high
desert environment. Guess what they would have looked like at the beach!

The silicone grease, recommended by N7CL, is a far more reliable
material.
It does not contain any dissimilar particles and it doesn't get readily
washed out by water.

You can get a lifetime supply from Neely Ind., 800-242-1483.
Ask for Dow Corning, high vacuum grease, 5.3 oz tube for $16 + shipping.

Proper preparation and application is required, per previous discussion.

--
73, Kurt, K7NV