[TowerTalk] TA-33 HELP AGAIN

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av@contesting.com
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 13:58:34 -0500

Redoing all the connections in the trap are particularly important in
Mosely trap antennas. The traps quickly become lossy if the
connections are not tip-top. Any resistance (even 1/2 ohm) will suck
away your power and received signal due to the circulating currents
involved. Clean, polish, and noalox ALL the screw connections.

On Mon, 17 Jan 2000 11:31:50 -0600, you wrote:

>>Again THANKS for the helpful info to all.
>>I jumped ahead and opened the remaining traps
>>and found that the traps sets do indeed contain the correct
>>number of turns but in both the reflector and director one of
>>the coil forms has been separated and the coil slightly spread.
>>I presume this was to slightly tune it.
>>Anyway, onward! I hope in the next post I can tell you
>>how good it works.
>>Bill
>>

>Bill, I missed the reason you are refurbishing the antenna.
>
>While you have the traps close at hand, get a grid dip meter and check the
>resonant freq of each trap.  I did that with my old A3 and found one bad trap
>that way (loose connection--cleaned the terminal location and put down noalox,
>reseated the screw and it's been fine since).
>
>It may be good to do with your antenna since there were some mismarkings, and
>the coils were spread differently.  Also, record the resonant freqs and keep
>them as a baseline from which to compare readings if problems develop later.
>
>73,
>dale, kg5u

--.  .-..
73, Guy