[TowerTalk] RE: What cheap 200 footer?

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 20:07:44 -0600

Steve is absolutely right.  I installed 90 ft of Rohn 20 with a
6 sq ft antenna on top in southern TN where ice and snow
are not a serious problem.  This probably exceeds Rohn's
recommendations but it has provided several years of good
service to date.  I would not want to stack it much higher.

Rohn 20 tower flexes very easily as you pull up the guy wires.
I only agreed to do this because I knew another local who
had a KT34XA and 40M rotary dipole on 90 ft of R20 for
several years until an aluminum guy wire broke (no thimble).

YOU would not want to climb 200 ft of Rohn 20, or be
responsible for someone you hired to do so.  Even Rohn 25
is pretty scarry above 120 ft or so until the guys are nice
and snug, unless you enjoy swaying in the breeze!

de  Tom  N4KG

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000 23:21:57 EST K7LXC@aol.com writes:

> In a message dated 00-01-18 21:16:51 EST, jlangdon@outer.net writes:
>
> > I want to put up some high wire antennas.   What I really want is
> a 199' (no
> >  lighting required) self-supporting mast that can hold up a few
> slopers, but
> >  no beams or rotors.  Using 25G seems like overkill, plus I would
> rather be
> >  close to the edge of my property and not have mess with a bunch
> of guy
> >  wires.  I know a cellular monopole would work - but that's going
> to cost
> >  more than I think it would be worth, unless anybody knows of a
> cheap one
> >  somewhere.  Any ideas?
>
>      Rohn says 20G (almost 25G) is NOT to be used in guyed
> configurations. My
> professional opinion is that 25G is the *least* tower you can use.
> And it's
> rated up to 199' @ 90 MPH - nothing else is even close.
>
> Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!