[TowerTalk] QST's Tower in the Attic

Michael McCarthy, W1NR w1nr@eecorp.com
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 20:22:11 -0500

W5USM@aol.com wrote:

> Aside from the structural debate, has not the critical question of proper
> lightning ground been ignored?

   Looks that way.  I would run #4 solid from the point where the tower
tube extends out of the roof to a ground rod, tied in to the rest of
the ground system of course.  Even better, go from the tube connection
to the top of the mast with some "superflex" stranded.
   Roof mounted TV antennae only require #8 AL solid.  Enough to keep
potentials from building up and, hopefully, preventing a strike.

> And how about code compliance as well as your homeowner's insurance?

   Mass. building code, section 624, states that a roof mounted antenna
support 12' or less above the roof does not require a permit.  As for
insurance, something legally installed should not present a problem.
Of course, you should always check your state and local codes in your
location before doing anything.

--
**************** Give Every Man His Dew **************
Michael A. McCarthy, President