[TowerTalk] Tower work shoes

Dale L. Martin kg5u@hal-pc.org
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 10:04:39 -0600

>Anybody developed preferences for the type of shoes to wear for working
>on towers? Especially several hours on a tower?

Here's what I've found that I want in a shoe for tower work:
(1) a hard sole to keep the narrow rung from driving its way up into your foot,
(2) a sole surface that will grip or 'lock' the shoe to the rung, and
(3, maybe) a shoe that doesn't have a broad or wide footprint--that is, a shoe
as narrow as your feet will allow to reduce 'crowding' on the same rung
(especiall important on Rohn 25G) when other hardware is present on that rung.

Years ago, I bought a pair of hiking boots in Boulder, CO.  I've never
regretted it.  You can't feel a thing through the bottom of the vibram (I think
that's what they are--the inset logo has worn away) on the trail or after hours
on the tower.  Also, the open space between the heel and sole tread extensions
keep your foot from slipping off the rung.  While I have another pair of boots
for hiking now, the old boots are used only for tower work.

73,
dale, kg5u