[TowerTalk] Tower lighting (when not actually required)

Stan or Patricia Griffiths w7ni@teleport.com
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 11:12:14 -0800

I have heard that in some cases, if you light your tower (when not required)
it can later become REQUIRED when pilots get used to the lights being there
and depend upon them for navigation.  After that, then I would suspect that
all sorts of requirements come into play, like back up bulbs and power systems
to cover power outages.  It is sort of like other "Good Samaritan" things you
can do.  They seem like a good idea at the time but you can open yourself up
for all kinds of liabilities you can't even imagine . . . like giving first
aid at the scene of an accident.  Certainly its a good idea, but people have
been sued for doing it.

I have no first hand information about optional tower lights becoming
"required" but I heard it years ago when AA7C lighted his 198 foot rotating
65G.  He investigated the issue and decided to light it anyway.  He is now a
silent key and the tower has been removed . . .

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com