[TowerTalk] Polyphaser question

Mike O'Brien k0myw@worldnet.att.net
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 08:25:45 -0800

I've privately queried a couple of knowledgeable folk with the
following question but received no reply. Either it's a dumb question
not worth answering, or I've stumped 'em. Stubbornly, I'll now ask the
group...
        I'm in the process of establishing a single-point grounding
panel for a tower located only about three feet from the foundation of
my shack. I'd planned to use the usual variety of Polyphaser coax
protector, such as the IS-B50HU-C0.
        But I've noticed that Polyphaser also offers a variety that, in
addition to blocking surges on the center conductor, also is said to
divert surges from the coax shield. The model I'm looking at is
IS-IE50HU-C0.
        I'm wondering if these fancier protectors would do away with the
need to ground the coax shield at the base of my tower only a couple of
feet away.
        Yes, I realize these protectors are twice the cost of the more
familiar models. But the prospect of not having to hack into the coax
for shield-grounding purposes at the tower base is appealing.
        Suggestions and opinions appreciated...

        73, Mike, K0MYW