[TowerTalk] "whole house" surge protection

Greg Gobleman k9zm@frontiernet.net
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 17:37:28 -0600

Hi Ed,

I have the ICE unit which goes in the breaker box.  I have lived in my new
QTH about 2.5yrs.  In an early incident before I got the unit I lost the
MOV's in a power bar one night.  In a second incident we did lose a
satellite receiver and phone/answering machine and modem through the
underground phones lines, the power was disconnected from all but the
phone/answering machine.   We have also had the top 8 foot of a chimney
damaged with exploded bricks and a big crack in it in a third incident.   No
damage to anything related to the tower, antennas which are nearly overhead
or anything electronic and my contractor assures me that it was in fact
lightning damage.  The insurance adjuster agreed and had no problem paying.
So, does it work?  I have no evidence that says it doesn't work, so I guess
it might.

73
Greg K9ZM