[TowerTalk] Guy Wire/4 Square Interference?

Jim MIller k4sqr@juno.com
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 09:18:10 -0500

On Sun, 30 Jan 2000 21:27:41 -0500 (EST) Nat Heatwole
<heatwole@clark.net> writes:

> Hello. Let's take the following situation:
>
> -I have 4, 125ft tall (1/4w on 160m) towers all spaced 40m apart in
> a square configuration.
> -I chose to shunt-feed all 4 towers as a 4 square for use on 160m.
> -All 4 towers are guyed at four points.
>
> Now I don't actually have this set-up currently up, nor do I intend
> to put one up soon. But I am wondering how much (if at all) the guy
wires
> for the towers would interfere with the pattern/performance of the 4
square
> array on 160m? Does it matter what material the guys are made of? And
if
> so, what would be a good material to use? Thanks a lot for reading and
> let me know what you think.
>
> 73's de Nat,
> WZ3AR (Ex-KB3CBW)

Nat;

First: The guys MUST be broken in non-resonant lengths to minimize
reduction in gain and F/B patterns.

Second; Series feed is highly recommended vs shunt; components in shunt
feed will not be identical due to tolerence variation and therefor
improper phase relationship (imbalance) is present.

Third: Spacing is 134 feet at 1.835. (Not 120'.)

See http://www.comteksystems.com

73,
Jim Miller, K4SQR
Comtek Systems