[TowerTalk] Transceiver Specifications

Dean Wooldridge dean@medsweb.com
Sun, 2 Jul 2000 12:17:24 -0500

I created a spreadsheet with the various numbers from the ARRL transceiver
reviews hoping to find patterns.  I didn't find any obvious patterns and I
confess I don't even know why the various numbers are important!  That tells
me I need to back up and cover some ground that I missed.

In the ARRL advanced and extra class study guides there is some information
that talks about things like receiver blocking, two-tone 3rd order IMD, etc.
but I guess I'm looking for a bit more real world advice.  Question is:

Are the measurements you find in ARRL reviews such as receiver blocking,
two-tone, 3rd order IMD, 3rd order input intercept, and the like really
valuable in the decision to purchase a radio?

Can you really tell the difference between one measurement of say 106dB and
108dB (whatever the measurement is)?

My ICOM-725 has some numbers that are as good or better than a 756PRO or
FT-920 yet there are signals I cannot hear when a fellow ham 2 miles from my
QTH can hear them on her FT-1000.  We use virtually identical antennas (my
R5, her R-7000).  I'm trying to improve my hearing and minimize noise (QRM).
I suspect I need to invest energy in the antenna system.  What I'm trying to
do is figure out if the specification differences in the radios amount to
anything compared to changes in antenna configuration.

Big questions, appreciate any feedback.

dean (K5DMP)
dean@medsweb.com