[TowerTalk] [Towertalk] Preamp sequencer PTT to RF delay

Chet Pierson chetp@netcarrier.com
Sat, 08 Jul 2000 14:39:25 -0400

Hi,
I have my tower up now, and most everything is working.
I was going to use a mast mounted preamp, and was looking for
some information. I figured out how to switch it in and out using coax
relays,
and also found some info on W5UN web site.

Obviously, the preamp must be switched out of the line when going to TX.

Not a problem, but some people use a sequencer to make sure the relays
have settled before
TX occurs. I made a sequencer using the PTT line, and it works fine, but
on CW, the rig is
semi break in, so it "keys itself". If I use the rear aux port keying
line, to trigger the sequencer,
RF may already be headed "up the pipe". Does any one know, or can you
point me to
information on the amount of delay, that is the time after PTT before a
typical radio will
begin to produce RF. If I can't find out, I guess I can use a 2 ch
storage scope and see
the time peoid from PTT to RF out.
My current rig is a Kenwood TS790A.

Thanks!!

Also, thanks to all who helped with the selection of epoxy for my base
bolts!!

Chet
K3YV