[TowerTalk] Rohn TB-3

Stan or Patricia Griffiths w7ni@teleport.com
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 13:21:08 -0700

I have one additional suggestion for reworking a TB3.  There is really no provision to
keep the Allen screw that plugs up the hole for the bearings to pass through in the
correct place over a period of time.  It just "floats" in the threads.  If it works its
way in further, it could jam against a ball bearing.  If it works its way out further, a
bearing could drop into the hole that was created.  You can fix this problem by securing
the "bearing hole" Allen screw with another set screw.  Drill and tap a hole through the
bottom casting for a smaller set screw to be used to secure the Allen "bearing hole"
screw.

New TB3 bearings have been "fixed" by Rohn.  They use a punch to deform the aluminum
casting near the threads of the Allen "bearing hole" screw.  This probably works OK and
you can still remove the bearing hole Allen with a little extra force.  You will need to
repunch it when you reinstall it, if you like that method of securing the bearing hole
Allen.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com