[TowerTalk] Telrex Balun

Greg Gobleman k9zm@frontiernet.net
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 05:49:33 -0500

My Balun was shot also.  Inside the water impregnated box was a coil of RG8
and a coil of maybe 14ga wire.  I replaced it with a choke, about 10 turns
of RG213.  Now I really don't know the performance of the antenna before I
acquired it.  But now the 10m portion is a MHz low and out of band.

There was a discussion awhile back on the performance of the TH6/TH7
antennas and what happens to them when the Balun is changed.  It would seem
that there is a critical length or effect that a simple choke does not
supply.  I could duplicate the Telrex balun or I can try one of my homebuilt
W1JR design baluns from W2FMI's book, the next time it's down for
inspection.

I had thought that the problem wasn't enough capacitance in the 10m traps,
but I now believe since the discussion on the TH6/TH7 baluns, that is where
I should be looking to solve this.

73
Greg K9ZM