[TowerTalk] Bird collisions and preventive measures

W0AH@aol.com W0AH@aol.com
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 11:40:48 EDT

One of my other hobbies (since 1967) is birding where I have the equivalent
of DXCC Honor Role  ;-)
There have been many articles over the years about birds hitting towers.  It
happens mainly during migration, and, most often, when it is foggy.  Stobe
lights help prevent such collisions, which normally occur at very high
commercial broadcast towers, much higher tham our typical ham 50-150' towers.
 I don't think we hams have any significant problem with respect to our
towers being a hazard to birds.
    Many birds are killed when they fly into windows because they see the
reflection of the sky.   There are two easy solutions.  Thin netting is
available at garden suppy stores and even Walmart/Kmart, I believe.  By
placing the netting, practically invisable from inside the house, over the
window(s), birds hit it instead of the window.  And they often see the
netting before hitting it.  In addition, a fairly large, black silhouette of
a hawk taped to a window sometimes is enough to prevent bird collisions.
These silhouettes are for sale at stores that specialize in birdseed, bird
feeders, etc.  I have used both for many years on my picture windows to
successfully prevent bird collisions .
Doug  W0AH  Woodland Park CO