[TowerTalk] Grout

Tower2sell@aol.com Tower2sell@aol.com
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 16:23:31 EDT

Well Hank I was hoping to not have to get into all of the gory details of anchor bolt and base plate design because it is a very boring subject and will put most of the readers to sleep. So I'l generalize first.

The grout does effect the number of anchor bolts and thickness of base plate.

NOW ONLY THE ENGINEERING TYPES WHO REALLY, REALLY CARE TO KNOW THE WHY AND HOW NEED TO READ FURTHER.

The question was about a free standing tower with anchor bolts. This is a totally different animal than a building column base plate, which is similar to the base section of a guyed tower. I also made an assumption that the base plate was double nutted, and did not use shims.

My experience with shimmed tower base plates dates back to the '70. After removing a tower and examining the grout I found the grout was not uniform under the shimmed base plate and was mainly around the exterior. The base plate was essentially being supported by the shims. The construction department found shims to be time consuming and hard to install. Double nutted anchor blots were implemented. Since that time not personally seen any single nutted grouted anchor bolts (and hope I don't).

Now let get down to the nitty gritty of the question. How does the grout effect the number of anchor bolts and base plate thickness?

For a free standing tower the leg reaction will be a compression or tension and a shear. Engineers view the problem differently and the codes do not always help. The problem is how do you combine the shear and the axial load. I there is no grout, then the bolts will be in bending (V x H). If there is grout then the bolt bending issue is not a problem since the shear can be assumed to prevent bolt bending.

Now the base plate. There are numerous analytical methods for designing base plates and some of them use the clamping force of the plate to the grout to create a fixed end moment condition and reduce the plate thickness. (one of the problems with this assumption is that a reduced base plate thickness can cause prying action in the anchor bolts and increase the number of anchor bolts. A quick observation is that not all anchor bolt and base plates are designed 100% correctly, but I have never personally seen a problem with any of them. The question of grout depends on what the engineer's assumptions were and quite frankly I'm only a good guesser and a terrible mind reader.

Now the good news. A new revision of the ANSI/EIA/TIA-222-G is being written and will address the issue. I have heard that they are proposing to ignore the bolt bending issue if the height between the concrete and base plate is two bolt diameters of less. This should result in the elimination of the grout for free standing towers base plates. (assuming the original design permits)

ARE YOU STILL AWAKE? Then you must be an engineer.

Tower2sell@aol.com