Fw: Re: [TowerTalk] News from Bencher

Natan Huffman force12e@lightlink.com
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 00:37:32 -0400

Dave,

We have not specified our antennas that way for about two years now.  Of
course the practicality of the issue really begs consideration as most
people don't measure VSWR at the antenna terminals.  Would you like a new
catalog so you can be "up to date?"

Per our brochure 2000, ----- "VSWR (max) is the highest value (usually at
the band edged) for a typical installation through a balun or RF choke.
Within the band, the VSWR will usually approach 1:1.  The actual VSWR
measured might be lower than these values, because coax has a small amount
of loss and this acts to smooth out the VSWR curve."

We specify the Maximum VSWR, not the minimum!  Now just how "truer" can we
be Dave?

As far as measuring the antenna gain at the feedpoint.........well, I just
don't know how to respond to that one.

By the way, our commercial customers do ask for VSWR specifications at the
end of some specified cable.  Guess our "commercials" just don't have the
same sense of humor that your commercial antenna customers do!

Finally, if you really believe the cumulative loss of a trapped antenna is 1
dB, I would like to tell you just how Miller Lite is a premium pilsner and a
national treasure.

73

Natan W6XR/2
FORCE 12 East