[TowerTalk] BIG antenna/tower question

Ed Dial diale@mindspring.com
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 01:03:53 -0600

Hi gang,

Maybe a little off-subject, but anyone knowing the answer to this has to be
a well-versed tower expert also. My question, can anyone comment on who
builds a top-notch performance 80 meter yagi? I've heard mixed reviews on
performance of the big yagis, but I'm hard pressed to find anyone who has
actually used one. I'm thinking a minimum height for such a wire would be
around 135 feet. Does anyone build a crank-up tower that can support around
400 pounds and change with what I'd guess to be around 35-40 square feet of
wind loading at these heights? I would think US Tower could probably
customize something like this, but I'd hate to think of the cost. I would
think that the maximum wind safety margin would be a compromising rating,
too. Practical to crank it down when not in use maybe?

Thanks in advance for those who comment  - Ed  WA4RYW