[TowerTalk] News from Bencher

Joe Reisert jreisert@jlc.net
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 19:24:27 -0400

Ed,

Gary Breed, K9AY, did indeed receive a patent a few years back for his
multi frequency dipole. As I recall, his patent claim mainly was the
ability to calculate the lengths of the different closely coupled
resonators rather than just the old cut and try method..

Roger Cox, WD0DGF of Hygain does hold a patent on the open feed system used
on the Explorer 14 (I think that is the model)? It was about 1980 or so.

I know I did some multi frequency driven Yagis (30/17/12 meters) back about
1990 using the same concept. The late Lester Cushman, Bill Orr and myself
discussed it then.

The feed forward concept was done back in the 1960's by W4KFC with his much
duplicated 10/15 meter dual band Yagi. I had one myself for several years.

Also, if you can prove prior knowledge such as having done what is patented
prior to the patent application, the patent has no bearing on you although
you may have to prove it in court with documented evidence.

One final thing to note. If you are applying for a patent, you must apply
to the US Patent Office within 365 days after you sell a product (such as
an antenna). I got caught on this one myself when I applied just over 365
days after shipping an antenna.

73,

Joe, W1JR