[TowerTalk] Traps--Yagi Joint Losses

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 08:31:32 EDT

In a message dated 7/18/00 1:22:21 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
w8ji@contesting.com writes:

<<
 I'm not sure this post will make it through, but here are some
 points we should remember.

 1.) Trap loss will **always** result in trap heating. While high loss
 won't necessarily show up with 100 watts, it will almost certainly
 show up with 1500 watts.

 2.) Trap loss can't be "1 dB per trap" as a rule-of-thumb. The loss
 will vary with trap design, what element the trap is in. For example,
 in a three element antenna with optimum current, the driven
 element traps should have about two to four times the loss of
 parasitic element traps. On bands below cutoff of the trap, the
 traps closest to the boom will have the highest loss. On bands
 above cutoff frequency of a trap, the isolating trap will have the bulk
 of the loss.

 I certainly hope a false rumor like "1 dB per trap" doesn't get
 started. That rumor on par with the rumor we've all heard that
 connectors have a loss of .1dB per connector. These rumors are
 harmful to people, because they cause them to make poor
 decisions...and once they get started they are almost impossible
 to stop.

 Keep in mind we went through a similar thing when linear-loading
 started. Now we suffer using less efficient antennas because it is
 difficult to find a well-designed lumped loading antenna.

 Now I can't say if some trapped antennas are as bad as measured
 or not, and the problem is most other people can't say that either.
 Without facts from multiple sources, all that happens is a peeing
 contest. So I'll measure some traps, pass them along (I hope) to a
 totally independent source who will also measure them, and then
 we will all know with excellent accuracy how much equivalent
 resistance and reactance the trap has at various frequencies.

 A few simple 5 minute measurements of each trap will let anyone
 model the trap in an antenna, and we'll know within a few percent
 how much loss is accountable for in the trap and which trap has
 how much loss. That will be closer than you can rely on a Bird
 meter, and many times better than we can do in any field test of
 field strength or heat.
 73, Tom W8JI
 w8ji@contesting.com

An interesting test on a trapless yagi that has been up for some time is to
give it a 5-10 minute 1KW or more carrier test and feel the first 2 joints of
the Driven Element.  Test equipment needed is "one hand."  I've made
believers out of Doubting Thomas's about the need for regular "Yagi Joint
Maintenance."   K7GCO