[TowerTalk] Traps--Yagi Joint Losses

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 09:33:00 EDT

In a message dated 7/18/00 5:47:05 AM Pacific Daylight Time, w9ol@dataflo.net
writes:

<<
 > The Driven Element.  Test equipment needed is "one hand."  I've made
 > believers out of Doubting Thomas's about the need for regular "Yagi Joint
 > Maintenance."   K7GCO

 Sir
 After reading your email I'm curious.
 I just put up a multiband trapless type yagi.
 I prepped all joints with Noalox and used ss hose clamps.
 Double checked all clamps for tightness.

 I've seen many types of joint connection, rivets, self tapping screws and
 clamps.
 Outside of heliarc welding, what do you think is the most secure joint
 connection technique?

I like all SS hose clamps that I grease up the threads with Silicone grease
so I can really tighten it.  For convenience I've silver soldered with
Eutectic10-20 solder a 1 1/4" SS washer in the screwdriver slot.  I grease
the tubing under the clamp also or Aluminum Oxide will occur.

I also use a flea market aluminum solder on the telescoping joints after
cleaning them real well and after 6 years now the joints are perfect with
ZERO Resistance, NO Maintenance and NO Heating.  I may have the only yagis in
existence that can make that claim.

The self taping screws require another short length of smaller tubing inside
to give a full 1/4" of grip surface.  The hole in the outside tubing should
be larger so some compression can occur.  Then it's only a localized
pressure.  The screw and hole should be well coated with Silicone grease.
It cannot compare to a real tight SS clamp making contact for 360 degrees.
K7GCO