[TowerTalk] perspective

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 10:37:26 -0400

Good thought Bob.

Other points are:

1.) At HF for receiving, gain is almost always unimportant. Only
directivity enters the equation, so even a "lossy" antenna can really
enhance receiving. (You'd be amazed how many time my -20 dB
gain Beverages help me over high yagis)

2.) The biggest advantage of a yagi, in a typical suburban
installation, is often that forces the user to put the antenna at a
decent height.  (On twenty meters, I transmitted on a vertical
mounted way up in the clear above my 20 meter antenna and it
was only  7 dB down from a five element monoband yagi.)

> I don't worry about a few db of trap losses nor the need to use
> monobanders.  I've used a TH6 or TH7 at 75' for years, worked all
> countries (but P5) and can work anything going.  Think about s units vs
> those few db and the effects of propagation and other factors that really
> make a difference.  73 Bob W7LR

Big hairy-armed competitors with max limit or more amplifiers need
to worry about every last dB. The guys with typical stations would
never see the difference at all.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com