[TowerTalk] perspective

Ian White, G3SEK Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.com
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 16:55:08 +0100

Tom Rauch wrote:

>I've been racking my brain trying to think of a way to test the theory
>that a few dB of signal makes a big difference in a contest, but I
>can't think of a way to prove or disprove it.
>
>Can anyone?

It isn't easy...  One thought would be to operate even-numbered QSOs at
full output and odd-numbered at -x dB. Then split them apart and compare
the two separate scores.

But then you'd try harder in the QSOs you think might be harder, and the
"QRO" QSOs would still help to keep your runs going. Maybe you could
hand it all over to a computer, and have it randomize the switching
between power levels, while keeping the overall 1:1 ratio long-term.

But you'd still anticipate, so maybe you should blank off the power
meter... no, better make that a full blindfold... er, someone help me
outa this...

                           http://www.ifwtech.com/g3sek