[TowerTalk] perspective

K3BU@aol.com K3BU@aol.com
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 19:31:40 EDT

In a message dated 7/19/2000 4:26:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
w8ji@contesting.com writes:

> When
>  receiving at HF, gain doesn't matter. The antenna pattern and the
>  direction of unwanted and wanted signals is all that matters.

Not true. It matters!
I had many instances when Razors were hearing stuff when others couldn't make
a whisper out of signals. Clean pattern helps S/N and QRM, but if there ain't
no signal brought by antenna, there ain't no amplifier that can amplify it.

One more monkey wrench into philosophy that paths are reciprocal and can be
nicely calculated (N6BT touches up on it in July QST p. 48): 1 or 3 dB can
make a difference in getting the signal into the layer or duct and
propagating it. Sometimes 1 dB can demonstrate itself as 5 or more dB at the
other end. It ain't exactly linear. (I know about RX S-meters being all over.)

Those with stacks try switching them and compare results on RX and TX. You
might be surprised how much difference there is between RX and TX signal
reports, I found more like 60% disagreement.

So much fun, so few antennas!
or
Contester will never have enough antennas.

Yuri, K3BU