[TowerTalk] perspective

TexasRF@aol.com TexasRF@aol.com
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 21:13:50 EDT

We can estimate the worth of a system db by comparing the top contest scores
between the high power and low power categories. I have not done this for hf
contests but I would bet the points per db would be pretty well defined. This
comparison would basically tell the story as related to how well the station
is heard as receive capability between high and low power categories would be
similar.

Several years ago I did a study of moonbounce contest scores and stations to
determine what kind of antenna system would be needed to give a top score on
2 meters. I found that in that contest 1 db would be worth approximately 25
qsos (2 meters only). The formula is still close but varies somewhat from
year to year depending on activity level and quality of propagation
conditions.

The challenges of contesting on 160, 80 and 40 meters are similar to
moonbounce contesting: You are dealing with quite a few marginal strength
signals compared to the higher bands. It would seem that the dbs would be
more important on these bands than the higher bands.

73 de k5gw