[TowerTalk] Perspectve

Wes Attaway wes@attawayinterests.com
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 23:32:35 -0500

After reading several of the "perspective" postings it is obvious that no
one really knows how much difference a single db makes in a contest.  There
are simply too many variables.

Maybe the only way to get even a glimmer of meaningful data would be to
construct several identical stations within a few miles of each other.  Use
1000W amps and decent beams so you will be able to work down into the lower
layers of smaller DX stations.  Then, do something (I'm not sure what) to
reduce half of the test stations to antenna gains of exactly 1-db less than
the others.  Man them with competent ops in several DX contests and check
the scores.  I guarantee you that there will be scoring differences that
will be way out of proportion to the 1-db gain differences.  If you swap the
ops around between contests you are still going to see scoring differences
that are out of proportion to the gain disparity.  A bell curve of the
scores will (I believe) center around certain ops, not certain stations.

I don't think there is any plausible way to refute the theory that 1-db of
extra antenna gain will occasionally get you a contact you would have
otherwise missed.  I do think that if the test described above is actually
carried out you will find that the operators make a much bigger difference
than does 1-db of extra antenna gain.  No DXer or contester in their right
mind would say, "I don't want an extra db".  The question really is how much
time and money is a single db worth.  So far I haven't seen any real solid
answers.