[TowerTalk] Perspectve

Tonno Vahk tonno.vahk@hansa.ee
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 09:55:19 +0200

Hi everybody, I see no reason why the function on average wouldn't be
linear. I believe that when increasing the power from 100 to 1000W you get
the same marginal return QSO-wise from the 1st db as you get from the last
(10th) db! Don't you feel this way? It is pretty clear that on average there
are no certain tresholds were suddenly "new layers of stations" open up!

Given this assumption and assuming that on average 1000W stations outperform
100W stations by 40-50% QSO total I would state that 1 db increase in TX
gain gives at least 2-3% increase in QSO number and probably on average also
in score!!

I say 2-3% not 4-5% because I believe that on average the 1000W stations
have other adventages in front of low power stations like better antennas
and more effort put into the contest that contribute to the score.

So it really depends on a person how important does he perceive the 2-3%
increase in score to be. And clearly even 0.5 db edge in TX gain (at least
1% in score on average) could be decisive in tense competition!!!

73s
Tonno
ES5TV

-----Original Message-----
From: wa4dou@juno.com [mailto:wa4dou@juno.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2000 9:03 PM
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Perspectve

>    About 5 years ago there was an article in the DX magazine
> comparing
> antennas and another Sweekstakes example was given where the
> difference
> between the 1 KW  and 100W top score was 40%.  On a linear basis
> that is
> 4%/dB.  This is a significant difference.   k7gco

  Problem is you're trying to "linearize" a non-linear function. I think
its a pretty poor return on" investment "but thats a topic for another
time. I share James opinion that all would do well to listen to beacons
and develop a keen sense of what constitutes  the differences between
some different power levels. 73 Roy WA4DOU

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.