[TowerTalk] Perspectve

K3BU@aol.com K3BU@aol.com
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 08:25:37 EDT

In a message dated 7/20/2000 12:32:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
wes@attawayinterests.com writes:

>  Maybe the only way to get even a glimmer of meaningful data would be to
>  construct several identical stations within a few miles of each other.  Use
>  1000W amps and decent beams so you will be able to work down into the lower
>  layers of smaller DX stations.  Then, do something (I'm not sure what) to
>  reduce half of the test stations to antenna gains of exactly 1-db less than
>  the others.  Man them with competent ops in several DX contests and check
>  the scores.  I guarantee you that there will be scoring differences that
>  will be way out of proportion to the 1-db gain differences.  If you swap
the
>  ops around between contests you are still going to see scoring differences
>  that are out of proportion to the gain disparity.  A bell curve of the
>  scores will (I believe) center around certain ops, not certain stations.

Theoretically yes, practically NOT.
Just came back from WRTC, where S5 hosts tried to make all stations "equal"
as possible. Look at the results. You will see some interesting differences.
Some blew it (like us having 6 hours of 20 over 9 rain static on all bands
and both antennas), some made it to top 10, some last WRTC top ten "made it"
to bottom 10. Too many variables with magnitude bigger than 1 dB.

Yuri, VE3BMV, S561C