[TowerTalk] WARC antennas

Jim Reid kh7m@hsa-kauai.net
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 08:09:35 -1000

> On 20 Jul 00, at 11:02, Tom Rauch wrote:
>
> > I heard they used Windom antennas on some bands!
> > I would have thought they would have used a dipole at each station
> > rather than something that is hyper-sensitive to external influences!

 > George replied:

> The answer, I think, is that they wanted to work on 40 AND 80, and
> they wanted a "level playing field" so that the competitors would
> have equal hardware.

Guess the contesters would not have run so many QSO's had
they been set up with 135 foot doublets and an antenna tuner
at each station;  but probably would have been somewhat
closer to level playing (except,  of course,  they were on
ridges and peak tops!).  But a few moments to adjust the pre-
determined settings on a tuner to go between 40 and 80 on
a doublet might not have lowered the scores much -- just
my .02.

73,  Jim,  KH7M